Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2305 in lilypond: misalignment of grace notes

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2305 in lilypond: misalignment of grace notes in two staff-system
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:24:29 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 2305 by address@hidden: misalignment of grace notes in two staff-system

I don't really think so. Without a slash, the grace note is rather certainly intended as an appogiatura. You could write this as
\relative c''{ <<
{ a16 g g g \appoggiatura a8 g4 }
{ a16 g g g \appoggiatura a16 g8 g16 g }
}
and would still get the attached result which is clearly wrong since the execution will have the appoggiature, if any, obviously starting at the exact same point of time.

In my opinion, it would likely be best to format grace notes _independently_ from material in other voices and just stick them close to the note they belong to. It does not really make sense to let them form note columns. Without having to associate them with an actual global musical moment, iteration might get simpler (though Midi might still be tricky), and we have good reason to want to get rid of issue 34.

Attachments:
        xxx.preview.png  7.5 KB