[Lilypond-auto] Issue 2893 in lilypond: Feature request: \shape warnings

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2893 in lilypond: Feature request: \shape warnings
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 20:23:52 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Enhancement

New issue 2893 by address@hidden: Feature request: \shape warnings

Reported by Urs Liska:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2012-10/msg00102.html

Hi list,

several months ago David Nalesnik (together with input from others) updated the older \shape function that allows shaping the control-points of curve grobs - which provided a massive increase in productivity when dealing with slurs etc.
For example, one major improvement was the handling of broken curves.

After it was finished the function has been incorporated in LilyPond's code
(http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2572)
and was recently changed further
(http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2873)

However, David removed one very interesting feature from the function in order to be able to provide a more concise and clean patch. In 'our' version of the function the function issued warnings (and optionally colored the curves) when it found a mismatch between the number of curve siblings (broken parts of the curve) and lists of offset-pairs. This is a very useful feature because you get noticed if changed line breaking results in a different number of curve parts (which is most likely to spoil your tweaking).

See the attachment for the older version of the function. Please note that it just redefines the built-in \shape function and doesn't use it. It isn't meant as the model for a new implementation (as I know the function has in the meantime been changed already) but to show the mentioned functionality.

What I would like to achieve with this email is that someone opens a new issue with the request for inclusion of this functionality to the \shape function now included in Lilypond.
David suggested he might revisit his code to make it more stable.

What i consider essential is the part that issues warnings on the console output. Personally I like the coloring very much, but I could imagine that some people would find this too intrusive (even if the default color would be black?)

Attachments:
        shapingCurves.ly  6.9 KB