Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2141 in lilypond: accidental spacing - some ac

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2141 in lilypond: accidental spacing - some accidentals are too far from each other
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 22:30:08 +0000

Comment #16 on issue 2141 by address@hidden: accidental spacing - some accidentals are too far from each other

@ Keith (comment #15):
i'm sorry that i hadn't checked the results with horizon_padding earlier. I did so now and the results, while not perfect, are definitely acceptable. As you said, it solves too tight spacing in many places (see attachment). In my opnion, this is the best accidental spacing of all that i've seen, and we can make it default.

@ Phil (http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2141#c11):
I believe that you are using wrong metric. In other words, the fact that flat and natural in Ross example touch doesn't necessarily mean that they are visually closer than accidentals spaced with Mike's patch (which don't touch). For example, you could measure accidentals' "distance" by area between them, or by the difference between their left edges. If we choose one of these methods (and they give more "natural" results in my opinion), we'll see that accidentals from Ross are farther apart - see attached.

Is it clear what i mean here?

Attachments:
        accidentals with padding.pdf  93.6 KB
        accidental distances.png  54.4 KB