Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2717 in lilypond: Patch: Implement \hidden/\hi

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2717 in lilypond: Patch: Implement \hidden/\hide as shorthands for \tweak/\override #'stencil = ##f
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:05:04 +0000

Comment #21 on issue 2717 by address@hidden: Patch: Implement \hidden/\hide as shorthands for \tweak/\override #'stencil = ##f

Regarding comment #20:

\single = "do the following commands and only apply them to the single item following them, as a \tweak"

\single\once ... is the same as \single ..., and \once\single is nonsense since \single first converts overrides to a tweak, and you can't apply \once on a tweak.

"once" and "single" are not synonymous. "once" is the same as "a single time", but the point is that "\single" applies an override just to a single item.

Or in other words: \single converts overrides into one or more \tweaks. This means that you can write something like <\single\hideNotes c e g> and, in contrast to \once\hideNotes <c e g>, just the c will get hidden (I can't vouch for what will happen to the Stem: this will depend on whether LilyPond considers the NoteHead for c as the cause of the Stem, or rather that of some other note).

I would not care explaining this distinction to Fridolin: he tends to ignore distinctions such as the distinction between inside and outside of a fence.