Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2801 in lilypond: Patch: Approximates cross-st

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2801 in lilypond: Patch: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skylines.
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:12:41 +0000

Updates:

Comment #32 on issue 2801 by address@hidden: Patch: Approximates cross-staff slurs in VerticalAxisGroup vertical-skylines.

Mike, I just looked at the patch, and you have a totally separate set of Slur properties for SlurStub. Any override of Slur properties will not end up in the SlurStub properties. You fix a few cases, like \slurUp and \slurDown, but that is totally unrobust and a recipe for disaster since the normal case now will be that the behavior of slurs and slur stubs will diverge as soon as you override one.

Also tweaks on the slur will not end up on the slur stub. One remedy might be to take a look at the definition of grob::calc-property-by-copy and create something like grob::calc-property-by-grob-copy that will not use event-cause but rather the immediate grob cause for its initialization and use it like grob::calc-property-by-copy is used in scm/define-grobs.scm. I am not sure that there will not be an even better way than element-by-element cloning, but that seems like the fastest remedy for me right now and allows individual tweaks and overrides in the grob definitions themselves and by the user.

The code, as it currently stands, is a disaster because SlurStubs and Slurs will diverge as soon as you try any manipulation of Slur properties.

I don't understand how it does not trigger your self-review reflexes when you have to change the definitions of things like \slurUp. There are frequent discussions on the mailing list about things like tweaking the control points and many other aspects of Slurs, and all those will break if you initialize SlurStubs independently from their causing Slurs.

Please fix this as soon as possible.