Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2791 in lilypond: [Doc]Inaccuracies in Learnin

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2791 in lilypond: [Doc]Inaccuracies in Learning manual, chapter 4
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 20:01:39 +0000

Comment #4 on issue 2791 by address@hidden: [Doc]Inaccuracies in Learning manual, chapter 4

Some more inaccuracies reported by Neil Sands, commented by Graham Percival:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2012-09/msg00019.html

I hope this is the right place to point out some errors in the LilyPond
Learning
Manual.

Thanks for the feedback!  Normally this would go to the
bug-lilypond mailing list, which I've CC'd.

1. http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/building-a-score-from-
scratch

On this page, in the variable called 'ManualTwoMusic', we see the text 'e8~
ees16', which seems to mean an E tied to an E flat. A warning about an
unterminated tie is given during the compilation process, and the score that results (and the example score in the docs) both show an E natural followed
by
an E flat at that point. So I think the tilde symbol ~ for the tie is just
wrong
here.

Yes, that looks like a typo.

2. http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/fixing-overlapping-
notation

In a few places on this page, we see this sort of thing:
'{ e''8 e'' e'' e''  e'' e'' e'' e''  f''2 g'' }'
when in the example score in the docs, we see a row of Es all in the same
octave. When you compile the code given above, it puts each note up two
octaves
in relation to the last. The examples on this page are full of this kind of
thing.

Hmm.  Most examples use \relative c' as stated here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/omitted-material
however, some examples use absolute note names.  By default, if
you write

{ c'4 }
then it will be interpreted as written with absolute note names.

I personally wish that we had explicit \absolute{} for such cases,
but it will be tricky to figure out exactly what to do about this.

3. http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/style-sheets

In the code immediately under this text...
'Let’s copy the current ‘definitions.ily’ to ‘web-publish.ily’ and modify
that.
Since this music is aimed at producing a pdf which will be displayed on the
screen, we’ll also increase the overall size of the output.'
... the first line of code has the comment '%%%  definitions.ily', when
actually
it should be '%%% web-publish.ily' (as that's the name of the file people
following the text have been instructed to edit).

That looks like the correct fix.

4. http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/other-sources-of-
information

In the GNU/Linux information, the path name
INSTALLDIR/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ is given. In fact, it should
begin INSTALLDIR/LilyPond/... (i.e. LilyPond in mixed case).

Hmm, are you sure?  On my system, I see /lilypond/
address@hidden:~
$ ls .usr/lilypond/usr/
bin  etc  lib  share  var

Do you have it installed in /usr/local/ ?  maybe it uses that
capitalization when in /usr/local/ but not when it's in a
different directory?

- Graham