Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesigna

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesignature
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:39:00 +0000

Comment #17 on issue 2783 by address@hidden: wrong placement of timesignature

While it will not make a difference with regard to Rietveld's single-diff review, when replacing a complex behavior with a simpler one, it might make sense to structure the commits into revert + additional change(s). That way the changes are easier to look at on their own. Particularly if it turns out that they cause new problems.

Yes, most of this discussion should have happened before. Attendance in reviews continues to be embarrassingly weak. It would probably already help a lot with code quality if some secret autobot posted "I don't understand what this is supposed to do" for every 10 lines of code without comment, and more people got drawn into the resulting fights.

With regard to the original time signature patch, I did express some bewilderment when reviewing the changes. I did not, however, seriously involve myself with the rationale of its design, and nobody else bothered either.

This is not optimal for our code quality, and it is also not optimal for the work atmosphere as it causes tensions when unnecessary work is done, and tensions when people start complaining violently about intended consequences of work that had been easily accessible in the review stage.

I'll try to figure out when the "even line-count" scenario got special-cased so that we can better estimate of how much sense it makes to retain that. Comment #11 would suggest that Ross provides some incentive to change to position 0, but of course it will cause a one-time inconvenience to everybody already relying on (or having compensated already) existing behavior. So we better make sure that if we are going for something else, we have solid reason not to change again later.

Thanks for bearing with our somewhat bumpy processes.