Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2719 in lilypond: Patch: Brain surgery on the

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2719 in lilypond: Patch: Brain surgery on the build system, first stage
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 20:36:45 +0000

Comment #7 on issue 2719 by address@hidden: Patch: Brain surgery on the build system, first stage

Reply to Comment #4

Patchy doesn't clean the tree enough to remove generated files ignored by Git, and aclocal.m4 is one of them without my patch; hence Patchy is not able to test this patch, so this label needs-work has a limited value. What about throwing in a "git clean -f -d -x" (yes, a lowercase "x") in Patchy between baseline build and the application of the patch?

Reply to Comment #5

I'm sure Graham remembers the repeated pain of messing with discrepancies between files added to Git and files taken into account by the bunch of make variables that set which source files go rolled in the tarball, often because translators and the translation meister (it was me some time ago) didn't take care of this well. So I'm sure Graham wants such changes go into master, and in the future stable/2.16 as well in case he rolls releases from this branch as well; here are ten occurrences of such breakage from the archives (not all related to translations):

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-06/msg00122.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-05/msg00015.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-03/msg00606.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-02/msg00480.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-11/msg00360.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-07/msg00089.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-07/msg00061.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-12/msg00628.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-11/msg00346.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-10/msg00025.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-05/msg00053.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-03/msg00076.html

In addition, AFAIR it's first time a so detailed testing procedure is proposed to test a change to the build system; right, its first version (sent on -devel list) was kind-of broken, but I tried to put a fair effort in this, so that doubts about this large patch might be more easily cleared.

This is stage 1 of large patches to the build system, indeed, but it can go to stable/2.16 without other stages, which address issues other than rolling release tarball.