Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2713 in lilypond: \compoundMeter cannot handle

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2713 in lilypond: \compoundMeter cannot handle irrational or fractional meters
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 10:12:27 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 2713 by address@hidden: \compoundMeter cannot handle irrational or fractional meters

Re the fractional example and comment 4: very good point. I'm not bothered about the precise syntax, although for what it's worth I think with this kind of fractional time signature à la Boulez, one can expect the fraction to be in lowest form. As you say, it's a significant enhancement. Something like ((4 4) (2 12)) is an acceptable alternative for a new composition [actually you'd probably write something like 7/6 or ((4 4) (1 6)) ], and probably better reflects standard modern practice -- but the fractional approach is used in various extremely well known contemporary works, so worth supporting in the long run.

BUT don't confuse the fractional time signature -- something akin to (2/3)/4 -- with the "irrational" one (a musicians' irrational, not mathematicians' ...) of, say, 1/6 or 2/12. The latter two are not intended to be Scheme fractions but time signatures of respectively one sixth-note (i.e. triplet quarter) and two twelfth-notes (i.e. triplet eighth). Lilypond already handles these as stand-alone time signatures, but if I understand you correctly, having them as part of a compound time signature confuses the _spacing_ (not beaming) calculation. I'm therefore not certain that your suggestion in comment 3 is so wrong per se.

However, if I _do_ remove the 1 from the call to make-moment, then I get a further error message: out/share/lilypond/current/scm/lily-library.scm:213:5: In procedure ly:book-process in expression (process-procedure book paper ...): out/share/lilypond/current/scm/lily-library.scm:213:5: Wrong type (expecting exact integer): 15/4