Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2702 in lilypond: Patch: Unify the lexer's ide

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2702 in lilypond: Patch: Unify the lexer's idea of words and commands across all modes.
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 07:53:07 +0000

Comment #12 on issue 2702 by address@hidden: Patch: Unify the lexer's idea of words and commands across all modes.

Whether or not we unify-across-modes: the most important mode for which we need to get the rules right is notesmode. It is the mode we are in at the outer level of LilyPond files where music-relevant assignments happen, it is the mode where most of the music plays and where variables like \violin1movement2 would be referenced.

So this is the mode we need to get right. And if the other modes follow suit, it is not likely anybody would notice the difference _iff_ previous usage like \line-width is covered.

In notesmode, numbers in the form of durations appear trailing note names. In lyricsmode, numbers in the form of durations appear trailing arbitrary texts.

By far the most natural use of digits in identifiers is in end position. That's what people will expect to be able to use if at all, and that is particularly what I don't see a reasonably doable and plausible approach for within notesmode.