Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2702 in lilypond: Patch: Unify the lexer's ide

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2702 in lilypond: Patch: Unify the lexer's idea of words and commands across all modes.
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 06:52:17 +0000

Comment #11 on issue 2702 by address@hidden: Patch: Unify the lexer's idea of words and commands across all modes.

The concept is to allow isolated '-' and '_' characters within user variable names, but not as the first or last character,
  violin_one_movement_adagio = {c d e f}
  \score { \violin_one_movement_adagio }
and have the rules for what is in a variable name consistent across modes.

The concept of allowing non-alphabetic characters in the /interior/ of a name, as opposed to the end, could help with issue 1670. If we see digits inside the name 're16a' it can be a variable, but if at the end 're16' must be a sixteenth-note.

The move toward having the same lexer patterns for every mode, however, mean that we can't define maj7sus = {} at top-level because the same patterns need to separate the c4:maj7sus4 in chord mode into its parts. Under the unifying-across-modes philosophy it seems impossible to address issue one thousand six hundred seventy.