Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2148 in lilypond: vertical skylines should use

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2148 in lilypond: vertical skylines should use stencil integrals
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:46:50 +0000

Comment #111 on issue 2148 by address@hidden: vertical skylines should use stencil integrals

partcombine-force.ly "V1 longer" and "Solo" too close.

This is because the letter "g" is no longer the bottom of the skyline everywhere. "g" is only the bottom of the skyline at a point where there is no collision.

I think it is reasonable to leave this - if people want text-on-text vertical spacing, they should use a column markup.

metronome-mark-broken-bound.ly swaps tremolo and dashed spanner.

Curious...this may be because the skylines are so snug that one can now comfortably fit under the other, eliminating the need to shift. I'll have to study this further.

figured-bass-extenders-markup.ly creates an unmotivated gap between second and third quarter.

Janek spotted this as well.  I've changed the default slightly to fix this.

In script-accidental-collision.ly, collision of fermata with natural in second to last measure.

Fixed.

In figured-bass-implicit.ly, the text "implicit" gets too close to the extender line which needs more vertical room above when it is the top figured bass element.

It seems OK now...

In tuplet-properties.ly, "no edges" creeps too close to tuplets: maybe skylines need to be padded a bit visually, less with the extremal points and a bit more with retracted parts.

Interesting...this is a good idea. The thought crossed my mind to do a sort of skyline-concave-padding where, for concave skylines (or maybe even all skylines), the padding increased linearly as a function of how low the skyline was compared to its highest point. This allows things not to get too snug. I think this can be implemented later down the line.

In slur-dynamics.ly, "dynamics outside" is no longer true, but since the regtest does not explicitly ask for it, the new resolution looks appropriate. Maybe the regtest needs redesigning.

Removed the annotation. Currently, the snug-skyline-maker is aggressive - if it can pack things in, it will. It is not smart enough yet to say "avoid collisions with grob X by moving inside but grob Y by moving outside." This type of rule-based collision resolution is used in a primitive form for beams. A project later down the line could be to come up with some sort of Collision_resolver class with lots of virtual functions that a bunch of different classes inherit from.

In tuplet-number-outside-staff-priority.ly, the second tuplet number is interleaved so tightly with "tr" that it looks like a mathematical subscript.

I'm not sure how to implement a good fix - there are a few possibilities. The one I'm leaning towards most would be extra padding in the style of the concave padding I talk about above for the trill glyph, as we don't want things dipping too low into it.

Large vertical offset for pedal dash in pedal-ped.ly.

I don't see a significant change from master on this one - maybe I'm not looking in the right spot? A visual would help.

In chord-name-entry.ly, measure 22 and 23 have their texts combined illegibly into one line. In general, text/text would warrant more padding, particularly when at similar height, than text/graphic.

I also don't see the problem here...perhaps it is fixed in a more recent patchset? I'm working directly from the files in input/regression today (compiling docs from scratch), so there could also be a problem w/ the regest in its native regtest environment. Keep me posted and thanks to both David and Janek for the feedback!