Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1976 in lilypond: Patch: Handle quartertone pi

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1976 in lilypond: Patch: Handle quartertone pitch differences in fingering calculations.
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:37:54 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-needs_work Patch-new

Comment #6 on issue 1976 by address@hidden: Patch: Handle quartertone pitch differences in fingering calculations.
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1976#c6

Handle quartertone pitch differences in fingering calculations.

Intended as a small piece of commissioned work, I decided to cut my
losses on this one since the associated handholding job was out of
proportion with the commission.

The intent is to pick the correct string in tabulatures when you have
halftone frets and strings tuned to quartertone pitches.  Obvious
further extensions would be to support irregular fretting (mountain
dulcimer) and more than quartertone resolution (we need something
getting fractional values from pitches).

For the originally commissioned task, quartertone tuning with regular
semitone fretting, I would expect this to work fine apart from
misusing error messages and properties declared for "negative
fretting" for other forms of fret mismatches.

So some cleanup and documentation would be required to make this fit
for inclusion for the current functionality.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5292042