Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2571 in lilypond: tuplet bracket starts to lat

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2571 in lilypond: tuplet bracket starts to late when the expression starts with a spacer
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:57:48 +0000

Comment #1 on issue 2571 by address@hidden: tuplet bracket starts to late when the expression starts with a spacer

Stupid question: when would you even start such an expression with a spacer rest?

At any rate, a spacer rest, in contrast to a hidden rest, does _not_ take up any physical space, so I consider the example inconclusive. It becomes more interesting if you add a second voice, like \new Staff { \time 3/4 << { c''4 c'' c'' } \\ { \times 2/3{ s4 c' e'} r4 }
}
In this case, the bracket should arguably encompass the (now non-empty) note column to the left. However, it begs the question why one would not start with a visible rest in the first place.

Can you provide an example where this would make sense? While I lean towards expected behavior being a wider span, I am not sure I see an actual application.