Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2246 in lilypond: beaming in 3/4 - a setting t

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2246 in lilypond: beaming in 3/4 - a setting to not beam 3 eights against the beat.
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 23:24:37 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Needs-evidence

Comment #25 on issue 2246 by address@hidden: beaming in 3/4 - a setting to not beam 3 eights against the beat.

In traditional music, "Fiddler's Fakebook" (1982) from Oak Publications (not B&H, but a careful publisher) consistently beams eighths to the beats, {r4. a8 a[ a] | a[ a] a[ a] a[ a]}. This style was already available with 2.14

We had strict-to-the-beat-beaming in 2.14 with \set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()

The option we were missing from 2.14 was to automatically beam 6-eighths but not 3 (the Ted Ross rule) and we still lack that ability in the development version :

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff \relative f {
    \time 3/4 \partial 4
    %\set Timing.beamHalfMeasure = ##f
    %\set Timing.beamWholeMeasure = ##t
    %\set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()
    e''8 dis e dis e b d c a4 r8 c, e a b4 r8 e, gis b
    c4 r8 e,8 e' dis c16 g' g, g' a, g' b, g' c, g' d g
  }
  \new Staff \relative f {
    \clef bass r4 R2.
    a,8 e' a r r4 e,8 e' gis r r4 a,8 e' a r r4
    R2. } >>

If there is a simple way to have an option forbidding beams starting or ending mid-measure in 3/4, we could follow the Ross rule.

Not all rules should be followed, though. I was taught "'I' before 'E' except after 'C'," I get wierd output when, motivated by iether sceintific vigor or a surfiet of liesure, I sieze upon /that/ anceint rule with efficeincy. --Kieth

Attachments:
        Eliza.png  16.8 KB