Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2513 in lilypond: Patch: Build: add -fno-tree-

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2513 in lilypond: Patch: Build: add -fno-tree-vrp to CXXFLAGS for gcc 4.7.0
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 07:36:19 +0000

Comment #3 on issue 2513 by address@hidden: Patch: Build: add -fno-tree-vrp to CXXFLAGS for gcc 4.7.0

Taking a look at the gcc bug data base, it would appear that the -ftree-vrp optimization option has been around for a very long time now. So it is likely that it is not solely responsible for the problem, but possibly in interaction with other, possibly newer, optimization options. It is also likely that this option has noticeable performance impact, given that it has been included in GCC already a long time ago, and not being removed since then like other optimization options that have proven not to be overly effective.

A quick test might be to check the result of

g++ -O1 -ftree-vrp

If this is sufficient in itself for cranking out bad code, I agree that the proposed fix is likely the best we can hope to do without foregoing even more important optimizations. If the code delivered by that command is good, then perhaps there is a different optimization option with possibly less impact we can switch off.

Of course, this would also be interesting information to deliver in an upstream bug report. And this should very very definitely be reported upstream to the GCC bug data base.