Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2507 in lilypond: Stop the entanglement of con

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2507 in lilypond: Stop the entanglement of context properties and grob property internals
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 16:33:36 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 2507 by address@hidden: Stop the entanglement of context properties and grob property internals

I'm not familiar with GOOPS, but a quick look seems to support your conclusion -- GOOPS would be a good choice for properties.

The invasive nature of your work on this is, IMO, due not to problems associated with the change, but with a history of bad programming practices in LilyPond. We have not properly used data abstractions, but instead have littered our code with calls that take advantage of our knowledge of property alists.

Proper practice would have been to define property structures, and then do all of our accessing of properties through defined API calls that work with the structures. Had we done that, the change from alist to GOOPS would have been transparent and seamless.

I know you've observed this multiple places in the LilyPond code base, so this is nothing new for you. I just wanted to get it out in the open to make sure we had a common understanding.

Given the pervasive nature of this change, it would seem that this should not be applied to 2.15, but instead to 2.17 (as we currently have a release candidate again).

I think this is great work, and I'm very glad to see it happening.