[Lilypond-auto] Issue 2506 in lilypond: Office-type application compatib

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2506 in lilypond: Office-type application compatibility for Lilypond-book
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:51:02 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Enhancement

New issue 2506 by address@hidden: Office-type application compatibility for Lilypond-book

About a year ago, I created a magazin article using lilypond-book with a LaTeX format. For better or worse, I received the usual "can we have this in .DOC format as well" which turned out totally disastrous. The LaTeX texts could be put through the latex2rtf ringer and thus, more or less imported into OpenOffice as raw text.

It turned out, however, that _none_ of the formats LilyPond can produce were suitable to be imported into OpenOffice without getting rasterized into a fixed resolution, thus being quite unfit for prepress purposes. The closest was perhaps SVG (mangled by OpenOffice's import which only supports rather basic forms). Both PDF and EPS are imported as _bitmaps_ into OpenOffice.

There is an OooLilyPond extension <URL:http://ooolilypond.sourceforge.net/> which also does not meet the basic criterion of importing _vector_ outlines rather than bitmaps at a fixed resolution.

It turned out I had to punt, and send the magazine the reexported .DOC from the raw text import, and all figures produced by LilyPond separately as SVG with a "good luck getting those into your publishing system" note. Embarrassing.

Which they apparently succeeded in since the mosaic-style table-of-contents for the issue had a large blowup from a graphic containing smooth circles.

But this does not do. We really need a reasonably working and preferably documented way of getting a Lilypond-book document (whatever the source typesetting format may have to be) into OpenOffice/Libreoffice with vector graphics.

"Oh, you need a LaTeX-based workflow to work with musicology documents in full quality" is a non-starter for getting one's feet into publishing more than naked music sheets without creating a totally different workflow not just for music, but all the text in between as well.