Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2490 in lilypond: Patch: Document "fingerings"

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2490 in lilypond: Patch: Document "fingerings" being frets rather than fingers for fretted instruments.
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:32:16 +0000

Comment #4 on issue 2490 by address@hidden: Patch: Document "fingerings" being frets rather than fingers for fretted instruments.

"needs work" in the back alley along with its cousins and grandmother. Here is one:

commit afb4c5fb1766a317100887f62c72a660047c8892
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Sun Jan 29 02:43:02 2012 +0100

    Don't warn for fingerings outside of [1..5]

    Since those are used for _fret_ numbering (and also interpreted in this
manner by the tablature engraver), I can't believe that this has not been
    fixed long ago.

Now of course, 0 should be allowed as well for fingering (empty string on string instruments), and arbitrary texts (like for the thumb on a cello). But notation is a fickle beast, and as long as we don't have a way to easily use strings for fingering, warnings like that should probably only be triggered if the numbers are _interpreted_ (like in tablatures) rather than merely printed. So I likely won't revert this one for now.

I do need to work on the examples, however.