Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2476 in lilypond: using blanks in -doptions va

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2476 in lilypond: using blanks in -doptions values
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 19:28:07 +0000

Comment #1 on issue 2476 by address@hidden: using blanks in -doptions values

I have a problem with this request, there is not enough detail, don't just quote a thread and think someone is going to re-read the whole thing and understand it.

Formulate what you want fixed and state it, refer to the thread only once the information has been asked for is in the tracker.

There are still some things I don't understand.

1. Can I confirm that it always has to be 'double' quotes? reading the thread I can see that escaping with backslashes doesn't work for Windows but what about single quotes?

2. I also don't understand technically what this is a problem with, or rather is this specific to certain shells. Colin states in the thread above that it is 'hairy' for Linux too, but not much more and only uses bash. Does it depend on the shell? Is it just Windows? I really am none the wiser the more I read this thread.

3. The suggested text is also ambiguous - not that that is anyone's fault but nonetheless;

lilypond.exe" -e "(define-public a 42)" -d include-settings=""""include filename with spaces.ly"""" bug.ly

Well, there are lots of 'blanks', are you taking about blanks in the file name? or blanks in the path too?

What happens if you quote the entire command?

Also

--snip--

at the same time it would be nice to change

paper-size \"a4\"
paper-size \"a4\" or """"a4""""

--snip---

Why? where are the spaces in this example?

and

--snip--

and the readability could be augmented with the alignment of the cells set to top!

--snip--

Please can you stop digressing to other things when you open an issue?

It makes me (as a doc editor) not even want to tackle this '2 line' issue because there are always 3 or 4 other things that need to be done/clarified/read before that and I don't want to spend more time figuring out what is asked for than doing the fix.

I don't actually know what *precisely* is being asked for here the more I read this, this looks just like a 2 line change but if I were to read this in the doc 'as is' suggested I'd struggle to understand why I need 4 double quotes when I need them and why.