[Lilypond-auto] Issue 2471 in lilypond: lilypond-b ​ook runs xelatex lin

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2471 in lilypond: lilypond-b ​ook runs xelatex linked against non-system libr aries
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 02:02:21 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Enhancement

New issue 2471 by address@hidden: lilypond-b​ook runs xelatex linked against non-system libraries

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 04:40:34PM -0700, Joe Neeman wrote:
Consider the following lilypond-book output (version 2.14.2):
lilypond-book --pdf --latex-program=xelatex -o out miriam.lytex
lilypond-book (GNU LilyPond) 2.14.2
Reading miriam.lytex...
Running xelatex...xelatex: /home/jneeman/lilypond/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6:
no version information available (required by xelatex)
xelatex: relocation error: xelatex: symbol
_ZNSt8__detail15_List_node_base7_M_hookEPS0_, version GLIBCXX_3.4.15 not
defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference
command failed: xelatex /tmp/tmpPBb_rA.tex
Child returned 127

It looks like lilypond-book is running xelatex in a modified environment
(eg. with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set). Since xelatex is not packaged with
lilypond, it should be linked against whatever libraries are present on the
system, not the libraries that are packaged with lilypond.

Thanks for reporting this, Joe.

I just had a look at the lilypond-book code. It looks to me like the
TeX processing program is launched with a copy of the current
environment. As you probably know, the lilypond binary is launched via
a wrapper script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH so yes, the environment for xelatex is
modified and not the same as the one established by your shell.

I suspect the designers considered it the user's resposibility to
supply an alternative TeX processor that can cope with the lilypond
runtime environment.

For a workaround I did some research and found this posting on lilypond-user:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-03/msg00055.html

in which Joseph Wakeling suggests a workaround of running xelatex on
the TeX source produced by the failed run of lilypond book. Let us
know if that works for you.

Has xelatex ever worked for you?

Have you updated xelatex or lilypond recently?

Could you create a wrapper script for xelatex to establish the
environment it needs? If you're unaware of it the env command works
well for this, e.g.:

env -i LANG="$LANG" TZ="$TZ" HOME="$HOME" GROUP="$GROUP" USER="$USER" SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash

I'll create an enhancement request for this.

Cheers,
Colin.