[Lilypond-auto] Issue 2457 in lilypond: shouldn't simultaneous syllabes

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2457 in lilypond: shouldn't simultaneous syllabes be aligned across voices?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:53:31 +0000

Owner: address@hidden
Labels: Type-Enhancement GSoC-LyricProject Needs-design

New issue 2457 by address@hidden: shouldn't simultaneous syllabes be aligned across voices?

Lyrics in melismas are left-aligned, while lyrics attached to single notes are usually centered. This can lead to a situation when a lyric syllabe that is sung simultaneously in many voices isn't visually aligned. The problem is noticeable especially when the syllabe is long. See examples here:
http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/examples-for-Lyric-report-simultaneous-syllabes-td5607339.html
one can mistakenly believe that two voices sing words "peace" and "world" earlier than other two voices.

I think it would be good to try to horizontally align simultaneous syllabes (within reason). We could either align them perfectly with each other, or at least reduce the difference in placement. If we decide only to reduce the difference, i suggest moving melismatic syllabes 1/3 of that difference to the left and nonmelismatic syllabes 1/3 to the right. See files linked above.

This issue is a part of the Lyrics Project.  See related entries:
issue 2450
issue 2451
issue 2452
issue 2453