libunwind-devel

Re: [Libunwind-devel] unw_backtrace(): Performance slowdown for ARM?

From: Chris January
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] unw_backtrace(): Performance slowdown for ARM?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:00:13 +0000

Hello Luke,

On 18/01/18 07:53, Luke Diamand wrote:
On 17 January 2018 at 15:55, Dave Watson <address@hidden> wrote:
I didn't notice anything in particular looking at the commit logs.
I'll try and repro when I get a chance
arm_find_proc_info() seems to start out trying eh_frame tables. Isn't
it always best on ARM to start looking in the exidx tables?
Sounds reasonable to me, although I'm not an arm expert.  Did the
default change somewhere?  I couldn't find anything looking at the
history.
I'm definitely not an expert!

But the exidx tables are quite a bit smaller than the DWARF tables: on
the code I'm working on, I see ~2MB on the MIPS target vs ~0.5MB on
the ARM target for the unwind tables. And I don't think there's even
an option in gcc to choose anything else.

And this presentation by Linaro (who _are_ experts!) says "Unwinding
on ARM is different - no .eh_frame but .ARM.exidx and .ARM.extab".

https://wiki.linaro.org/KenWerner/Sandbox/libunwind?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=libunwind-LDS.pdf
Whether the compiler generates a .eh_frame section or an .ARM.exidx
section depends on the toolchain so a generic unwinder such as libunwind
needs to support both.

On aarch32 ARM libunwind also defaults to --enable-debug-frame=yes. This
can cause libunwind to open and read the executable and any shared
libraries every unwind if the .eh_frame section is missing or does not
cover all addresses, which matches your comment that it is opening and
closing files a lot. If you know you have .ARM.exidx sections then try
configuring libunwind with --enable-debug-frame=no.

Yours,
Chris January

medium. Thank you.