libunwind-devel

Re: [Libunwind-devel] vdso and libunwind

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] vdso and libunwind
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:08:46 -0700

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Lassi Tuura <address@hidden> wrote:

- Recognise VDSO. If I understand correctly, the VDSO does not show up in the dynamic linker's list of shared objects, so tracing for kernel functions (e.g. __vdso_gettimeofday()) fails. Any ideas how we should identify this one? An address > 0xffffffffnnnnnnnn on x86-64 is very likely VDSO, but how do I get the beginning address to feed the rest of the chain? Look in /proc/self/maps?

Kernel can also randomize VDSO load address. One possibility is to peek into libc's private data structures (struct link_map). Getting a stable public interface from libc would be nice though.

 -Arun