libunwind-devel

[Libunwind-devel] Re: Call to strdup breaks heap profilers

From: Daniel Jacobowitz
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] Re: Call to strdup breaks heap profilers
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:42:55 -0400

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:41:40PM -0700, Arun Sharma wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 07:11:51PM -0700, Arun Sharma wrote:
> >> I've temporarily reverted this commit from our copy of libunwind - so it's
> >> not super urgent. But it'd be nice to get a fix in the longer term that
> >> doesn't involve calls to malloc.
> >
> > I've definitely not forgotten about this - I will get it fixed.
>
> Dan and ARM folks, could you please test if the attached patches work
> for you? You'll probably want to compile with --enable-debug-frame.

Thanks for this.  I'm sorry I wasn't able to get to it - part of
the reason is that I don't have a test setup for it any more.
The patches look entirely sane to me.

For what it's worth, we use this code from malloc; there's a simple
recursion guard in the caller.  I'd rather keep it enabled.  But I do
not see an immediately obvious way to do it without malloc.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery