libunwind-devel

Re: [Libunwind-devel] Problems Compiling for Power

From: Jose Flavio Aguilar Paulino
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Problems Compiling for Power
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:05:13 -0300

Well David, I think that this would be very important.
Let's say your are building some kind of debugger (e.g. frysk) using
libunwind. This raises a problem that in a x86_64 system you have
several processes that are only x86, and your debugger would not be able
to unwind this processes, so you would need to use to different compiled
debuggers.

I'm raising this problem because I'm working now in powerpc32 support,
and that's very important because in a ppc64 server several processes
are ppc32, and this will not change for a while, because they are
intentionally 32 bits, in some cases, ppc32 binaries can be faster than
ppc64. So it would be very important to libunwind64 be able to debug
both ppc32 and ppc64, not only libunwind-ppc32 debug ppc32. And ppc32
and ppc54 have different ABIs, but linux for ppc63 is able to deal with
both.

What do you all think of it?

Thanks a lot,
José Flávio Aguilar Paulino