libunwind-devel

[libunwind] interest in dynamic debug-info?

From: David Mosberger
Subject: [libunwind] interest in dynamic debug-info?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:13:17 -0800

I'm contemplating to add support to libunwind to provide access to
debug-info for dynamically generated code.  Would there be any
interest in such a facility?

My current thinking is that it would be fairly easy to do this in such
a fashion that, from a debugger's perspective, the debug-info for the
dynamic code would look almost exactly like that for static code
(i.e., basically DWARF2/3 debug-info).  This should make it rather
easy to add the necessary support on the debugger's side (or more
generally, any consumer of debug-info).

Of course, it would require more work on the code-generator's side,
but we could provide helper routines to make the task easier.  I'm
assuming here that the debug-info would only be generated upon
request, as a debugging-aide.  In other words, the debug-info
generation wouldn't not be on the performance-critical path.  Also,
generating basic debug-info such as the source-file and line number
info should be straight-forward.  That wouldn't get you all the
type/object-info (which can become complicated), but at least you
could single-step through dynamically generated code, assuming it has
a source-code equivalent.

Opinions?

        --david