Re: Libtool 2.4.3 release

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Libtool 2.4.3 release
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 18:07:37 +1300

On Mar 20, 2014, at 5:37 AM, Arnout Vandecappelle <address@hidden> wrote:

[Please keep me in CC, I'm not on the list]

Dear libtool maintainers,

Is there a possibility for a new libtool release in the foreseeable future?

Hi Arnout,

Yes, absolutely. In fact there are only 2 things ahead of it on my TODO list:

  1. Figure out why a4ffcdb5e is a regression for test 57
  2. fix test 120 race condition

Unfortunately, Libtool is a complex beast, and we are woefully undermanned here.
While everything rests on my shoulders, it will be at least another month before I can start work (I'm in the process of emigrating and all that entails).

Patches for those 2 items, or any other as yet unknown issues with git master (or http://vaughan.pe/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.458.tar.gz if a bootstrapped tarball is easier to work with) are extremely welcome, and could lead to an immediate release...

Most recent test logs here:

  http://vaughan.pe/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.458.logs/

In buildroot, we build all autotools (including libtool) as part of the
cross-compilation process. We recently had to add a libtool patch for
MIPS n64 support, which is annoying because it means we have to re-run
automake etc. to update the autools-generated scripts in libtool.

Did you patch just config.guess/config.sub and pass that back upstream? That is a prerequisite for arriving in the next release.  Otherwise if you patched Libtool files, are your changes in upstream already?

However, our normal autotools support doesn't work because that creates a
circular dependency. So we have to add a few hacks in the libtool build
steps to make things work.

A release of libtool would help a lot because then we don't need to
carry patches and we don't need to generate configure etc.

Thank you,
Regards,
Arnout
--
Arnout Vandecappelle      arnout dot vandecappelle at essensium dot com

Cheers,
--
Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)