Re: libtool check libraries always result in 'uninstalled' binary script

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool check libraries always result in 'uninstalled' binary script
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:52:44 +0100

Hello James,

* James Leek wrote on Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 06:23:25PM CET:
> Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem.  I would really like to build my
> tests as installed-type binaries when I run 'make installcheck' in order
> to make it easier to run a debugger on them.  However, each tests
> requires its own dynamically loadable convenience library.

First off, what you're trying to do fits much better with the 'check'
target than with the 'installcheck' target: the former is meant to test
things before you ever run 'make install', the latter is meant to test
those things you have actually created with 'make install'; also, it is
nice if 'make installcheck' does not change the object files in the
build tree.

So, to summarize, I'd rename your installcheck-local target to
check-local.

> check_PROGRAMS = Master Slave
> check_LTLIBRARIES = libslave.la libslave_cxxstub.la

For your actual problem, namely avoiding the shell wrapper for
uninstalled programs, try adding -no-install to Master_LDFLAGS and
Slave_LDFLAGS.  You still won't be able to debug easily on w32 systems,
though.

> check_SCRIPTS  = lt-Master

What is this line for?

Cheers,