how to pass disable-static through automake?

From: Derek Feichtinger
Subject: how to pass disable-static through automake?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:07:36 +0200

Hi,

I am building a whole bunch of loadable modules that do not use libtdl. I
would like to completely disable the building of static objects to speed up
the build. However, I need to do this on a per library (module) basis, since
the project also has a number of regular libraries, so defining this with the
global switch is out of the question.

Searching through the archives I found the  --tag=disable-static option to
libtool which works fine if I use libtool in compile mode directly.
But how can I pass this (or anything which does the same) through automake to
libtool? If I include it in xyz_LDFLAGS it is called in libtool link mode,
which is useless. If I try to pass it in CFLAGS, it seems to get masked, so
that it is not interpreted by libtool, but by the compiler (which probably is
normally wanted).

Thanks for any help on this,

Derek

--
Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Tel:   +41 56 310 47 33
AIT Group                               email: address@hidden