Re: Support for VC++ toolchain (was Re: Absolute paths generated by libt

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: Support for VC++ toolchain (was Re: Absolute paths generated by libtool.)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:31:54 -0800

Benoit Sigoure wrote:

No sorry, this was necessary. MSYS isn't enough, and using it wouldn't have enabled me to do what I do now. The shell still removes unecessary backslashes
and MSYS can't automagically handles things such as:
gcc -I/home/build/... (which needs to be rewritten in
-IC:/cygwin/home/build/...) for instance.

Did you ever actually *try* it?

##args.c##
#include <stdio.h>

main(int argc, char *argv[]){
       int i;
       for (i=0; i<argc; i++)
               printf("%s ", argv[i]);
       printf("\n");
}
#####

$ gcc -o args args.c
$ ./args foo bar -I/foo/bar
d:\Download\args.exe foo bar -IC:/msys/1.0/foo/bar

Of course there's no need for a /cygwin/<anything> with MSYS. Also there's no need to convert slashes to backslashes; Windows has accepted both since the Win95 days. Likewise Windows accepts "-" as an option specifier as well as its old use of forward-slash.

cccl helps but is rather incomplete compared to wgcc. Moreover, neither wgcc nor
cccl set the proper environment variables to be able to run cl.exe (which
returns 53 if any of them is wrong, eg if the PATH isn't ;-separated or
contains forward slashes instead of backslashes etc...) and to use MS
PlateformSDK.

Neither cccl nor wgcc *should* be setting the environment. That's what .profile is for. Or you could just edit msys.bat to call vcvars32.bat before starting up rxvt. It's not the job of the compiler-driver to set up the environment. It's the job of the *user* to do so.

--
 -- Howard Chu