Re: PGI and C++ templates

From: Jeff Squyres
Subject: Re: PGI and C++ templates
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:57:23 -0500

On Mar 14, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

I've long since added my own m4 to my configure scripts to see if the
C++ compiler uses a template subdirectory, and if so, add it to
CLEANFILES.

Can you be bothered to share it with us?  Has it hung enough to be
considered for Automake?

Sure -- it's attached.

I don't know if it's "good enough" to be considered for AM; it's really a shotgun approach (I don't know anything about their coding standards):

- make a temp dir, cd into it
- compile some C++ stuff that contains templates
- remove all known files
- see what files/dirs are left

There's probably other ways to do it; I have dim recollections of this macro coming into existence around 3am one night... :-)

(looking at this code again -- it's been years since I've examined it -- there's a *lot* that would need to be cleaned up and generalized; I am realizing how much I didn't know about AC when I wrote that macro -- it's embarrassing! ;-) The shotgun approach idea can be extracted from this code, if it's useful -- that's probably about it)

Has something changed that I no longer need to do this?

We might want to have something like it.

That would be fantastic.

[Template.dir stuff snipped]

I'll let the PGI people reply to this stuff...

Does anybody have some real-world code using C++/templates/libraries
that I (or, even better, you) can test with (and that is not too
complicated to set up)?

'fraid not. We only needed C libraries to build with LAM/MPI -- the C++ templating issue came up after that was solved. Sorry! :-(

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} address@hidden