Re: fallback-echo, finding a suitable $ECHO

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: fallback-echo, finding a suitable $ECHO
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:56:26 +0100

Slooowly cycling through the list..

* Alexandre Oliva wrote on Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 01:05:59AM CET:
> On Jan 27, 2005, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Which systems do actually need libtool's --fallback-echo?
>
> Probably ones that didn't support shell functions either.

Nope.  The answer was in
  info '(autoconf.info)Here-Documents'
all the time, I just needed to read carefully enough.  :)

> I don't recall exactly which systems required --fallback-echo, but I
> do recall it was added for a very good reason, given how disgusting it
> is :-)

ACK.

> Since we've now moved on to better systems, supporting shell functions
> and all, we might as well give libtool a new try without this gunk and
> see how it goes.  Failing that, a shell function might be good enough,
*snip*

Naah, no need to kill something while it supposedly still works
reasonably well and actually _might_ be of use to somebody.

We'll just wait another seven years.  :)

Regards,
Ralf