Re: another 1.5 release

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: another 1.5 release
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:33:41 +0100

* Daniel Reed wrote on Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:36:24AM CET:
> On 2004-11-30T11:31-0500, Daniel Reed wrote:
> ) for multilib to be made available in branch-1-5 (possibly by incorporating
> ) .multilib2 into 1.5.12).
>
> It's looking like I may be able to get current Libtool into the final RHEL 4
> release.

Great!  How much time do you have left?

> Is there any chance .multilib2 can be incorporated into 1.5.12? As written,
> it simply causes libtool to ask gcc to find .la files if gcc is in use. It
> should have no impact on non-gcc builds and should not cause any files to be
> missed (the original behavior is used if gcc is unable to find a requested
> file).

The general idea looks fine to me.  Unless other libtool distro
maintainers disagree, I'd like to see this in branch-1-5 (and then in
branch-2-0 and HEAD as well).

Technical issues with the patch:
- Why is, after your patch, $found set twice before searching (is there a
reason for this)?
- You search -print-file-name with all extensions before searching other
paths with all extensions.  I think this is ok, but am not totally
convinced.
- What about other compilers on linux?  I know icc knows
  -print-file-name=  in version >= 8.0 (but, depending on whether it
sees the option `-no-gcc' or not, it will be detected as gcc anyways).
I'm pretty sure pgi compilers do not understand this switch.

Regards,
Ralf
--
I'll not be reading mail regularly for the next few days.