libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist

From: Ross Boylan
Subject: libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:33:16 -0800

$ libtoolize -n
libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist
Try `libtoolize --help' for more information.
$ libtoolize --version
libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.5.6

I am trying to use libtool/libtoolize in a project without autoconf or
automake.  I had thought this was possible from various docs,
including the (somewhat dated) "GNU Autoconf, Automake and Libtool
Book" and the fact that an option to libtoolize is
    --automake        work silently, and assume that Automake is in
    use
which seems to imply it could work without automake.

My theory is that libtool/ize actually requires automake.  Is that
correct?  If not, can anyone give me any clues about what's going on?

See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=282725 for more
on this, including further speculation on my part and notes about the
documentation.

Thanks.