Re: Convincing Automake to support libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Convincing Automake to support libtool
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:49:58 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
are just adding to the confusion.  I'd quite like to leave it on
HEAD so that we can work through the problems with the patch when
we have branch-2-0 in a releasable state.  Guess we're not quite
as close to a 2.0 release as I'd hoped :-(

Nope, there is clearly a ways to go (maybe just a little ways) until 2.0. It is clear that several projects need to volunteer to try using the development libtool so that there is real-world experience. The libtool test suite is great, but it seems that some real-world issues crop up which are not covered by it. I found the new documentation regarding incorporating libtool and libltdl to be a bit confusing, particularly since every libtool related statement from libtool 1.5 is replaced with new macros/syntax for libtool 2.0.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden