Re: TODO

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:29:04 -0800

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
* Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 04:34:49PM CET:

Also, what do we do about -rpath?  We still need to encode the
runtime path to even the dropped deplib directories so that the
same library we linked with is picked up at runtime.

Erm, is this not handled in the depending library? (I have no idea,
really, but I hoped this would be so.)

This is definitely a sticky problem. We do builds that "install" to a path that is different from their actual, final destination. I'm finding that the rpath handling at various stages of a build tries to be too smart for its own good. E.g., I have a build tree in my home directory for a number of packages in ~/BLD, the ultimate destination is /opt/foo, and everything is staged into ~/BLD/opt/foo. For files in the resulting package that contain embedded RPATH/RUNPATHs, I only want "/opt/foo" present in the binary, but I find a lot of instances of "/home/hyc/BLD/opt/foo" that I have to squash by manually relinking.
--
  -- Howard Chu