Re: TODO

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: TODO
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:55:19 +0000

Daniel Reed wrote:
On 2004-11-09T18:19-0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
) Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
) > * Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:24:25PM CET:
) >>3.5.  While we are there, maybe internationalise libltdl?
) > Please don't.  If you do, make it possible to have zero(!) overhead for
) > ltdl users if they choose not to make use of the translation capability.
) Do you mean zero runtime overhead?  That's easy, and fairly standard already:
)
)   #ifndef _
)   #  ifdef ENABLE_NLS
)   #    include <libintl.h>
)   #    define _(Text)  gettext ((Text))
)   #  else
)   #    define _(Text) (Text)
)   #  endif
)   #endif
)
) There are a few other tweaks that need to be done (see CVS M4), but for
) brevity I'll spare you the details :-)
)
) Obviously message catalogues and the like will make the distribution bigger
) though.

As this trick takes effect at compile time, would this require that an
embedded libltdl grow in size even if the functionality is never used?

This is only part of the magic, but is the only change in the source code.

If so, I think the point is to allow packagers who embed libltdl in other
packages to choose a prenoninternationalized version (so the noni18n occurs
at repackaging time rather than compile time).

It wouldn't be at all difficult to have 'libtoolize --ltdl --disable-nls' install a non-internationalised libltdl minus message catalogues into a parent package. But yes, we would have to take care to do it carefully. An improved post-2.0 testsuite should help there :-)

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}