Re: Linking against indirect dependencies

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Linking against indirect dependencies
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:32:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Albert Chin wrote:

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 08:19:00AM +0200, Szombathelyi Gy?rgy wrote:
I've just curious if is it possible _not_ to link a program/lib against
its indirect dependencies. I mean if libC is linked against libB and
libB is against libA then libtool will link libC against libA, which is
not neccessary in most situations (at least not on Linux, but I guess
not in most ELF platforms). What I've discovered is that libtool always
links against all the depencency_libs in the .la file. Here's a thread
about this issue in KDE:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=108534182408921&w=2

dependency_libs doesn't contain just libraries. Maybe LDFLAGS as well,
like -pthread. BTW, is it _really_ a problem to link against
everything in dependency_libs? Indirectly, this is going to happen
anyway even if libtool doesn't do this.

Of course the correct answer is that not linking against indirect dependencies is non-portable. Certainly Microsoft Windows DLLs require full linkage, and I believe/suspect that AIX does as well.

Libtool always chooses the most portable approach and does not encourage developers to use non-portable platform-specific approaches. If libtool encouraged developers to use non-portable platform-specific techniques, then it would be dealing a blow to the goal of supporting portable software.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden