Re: Suggestion

From: Rob Wyrick
Subject: Re: Suggestion
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:14:50 -0700

Libtool doesn't use DESTDIR.... The makefiles (autoconf/automake) use DESTDIR.
When the *.la files are built, libtool puts a line like
   libdir=/some/path/to/a/lib/dir
in it. Then, when you try to install via 'make install' which, in turn call libtool --mode=install libtool will refuse to install into any directory EXCEPT what was specified in the .la file. It breaks, therefore, if you try to use DESTDIR= or prefix= arguments to the 'make install'
command.

-Rob