system libname.la vs local libname.a

From: The HighHat
Subject: system libname.la vs local libname.a
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 17:00:15 -0500

Using libtool and automake to build statically linked executable from multiple convencience libs on linux that has both gcc 2.96 and gcc 3.2 installed....

There are several prebuild libraries that must get linked into the final executable as well. Let's call one of them libname.a

There is a "name" pkgs already installed on the host. This package has a libname.a and libname.so and libname.la in system LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

autoconf and the resulting configure seem to be accurate.

makefiles generated from this seem to be accurate...

however, all the of libconvenience.la in my project have references to the system version of libname.la instead of a plain jane libname.la (or -lname) as it appears in the makefiles, makefile.am, configure.ac configure, etc...

SO... eventually the build fails because the system libname.la brings in all of these other dependencies that break everything....

Does anyone know how i can ensure my local libname.a gets used?