Re: solaris link line length problem == buggy sed

From: libtool
Subject: Re: solaris link line length problem == buggy sed
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:20:52 -0500

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 03:59:51PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:29:05AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Not sure how to fix this portably.  My only idea so far is to echo a
> > > longer
> > > string and truncate it with dd, but the GNU coding standard don't include
> > > dd
> > > in the list of utilities which you are allowed to use in a configure
> > > script.
> > > Perhaps we could use it if present, and just use the sed we're given if
> > > not.
> >
> > What is wrong with the "portability" of the meat of my script?
>
> What I explained (probably badly) in my original message.  I'll try again.
>
> The problem is if echo understands neither "-n" or "\c".  In this case the
> code above will set ac_n to empty and ac_c to a literal newline (ac_t will
> be a literal tab, but is unused by the script).

Oh. Ok. Now I'm remembering how my script works :)

The above is ripped from autoconf. That's how we get:
  checking for <blah>... <yes|no>
on the same line. If there is *some* OS where <yes|no> does not print
on the same line, then we will have problems. If not, we should not
run into a problem.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)