Re: dll cross-compile, .libs/impgen is a win-exe, not a linux-binary

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: dll cross-compile, .libs/impgen is a win-exe, not a linux-binary
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:05:04 +0100

On Wednesday 20 June 2001 10:58 am, Guido Draheim wrote:

> Anyway, libtool.m4 and libtool-content are out of sync in this case,
> it is clearly buggy, don't you think Gary? ;-)

The last time I used the impgen code in libtool, it worked fine for me.
However, I must admit that I didn't test cygwin builds at all for release
1.4, and had planned a quick 1.4.1 release if I subsequently found any
problems.  As you probably know, the MLB merge is taking most of my attention
at the moment, though I will happily add any patches to the queue if you find
a solution.

The twisty turny code for cygwin was written back in the days of b19, and
patched to continue working as new cygwin releases came along.  After DJ
Delorie's linker patches made it into cygwin-1.0 (IIRC) I tried to remove the
whole impgen gubbins from libtool, but got flamed by people who needed
libtool to continue working with b19.  Thanks to Paul Sokolovsky's new ld
patches, we no longer need the majority of libtool's Windows hacks -- so at
some point in the not-too-distant future I plan to remove the current mess in
favour of Robert Collins' streamlined version.  People who like the beta era
of Cygwin can continue to use libtool-1.3.5.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ())_.  Gary V. Vaughan     gary@(oranda.demon.co.uk|gnu.org)