Re: SCO 5 shared libraries and -lc

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: SCO 5 shared libraries and -lc
Date: 17 Apr 2001 08:00:26 +1000

"Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh yuck!
>
> This is definitely the wrong approach.  Could you try to find a way to fix
> the test that discovers the correct value for lt_cv_archive_cmds_need_lc
> (aound line 2158 in libtool.m4).

cc and gcc on sco know not to add -lc, so the test there looks like it
would probably be right, except that archive_cmds is setup to use $LD,
so it doesn't come into play.

Maybe archive_cmds should switch to using $CC, though I wouldn't know
if that might upset anything else.

> If this is just a bug in SCO's linker, maybe we just need to move
> your patch into this section of libtool.m4?

I don't know if it counts as a bug, though rumour has it there's a
patch for unixware to address it.  Certainly something strange is
going on, it doesn't look like a basic ld.so/ELF setup, libc.so is an
ar archive for a start.  Cc to a sco expert for further remarks.