Automatic template instatiation in SGI C++??

From: Paul Wighton
Subject: Automatic template instatiation in SGI C++??
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:40:10 -0400

Hi all...

Is there a way to get the SGI C++ compiler to work with libtool, and
still automatically instanciate all nessecary templates??

The problem I am having is this:

The compiler, by default will create a directory called ii_files in the
directory where the output file is targeted, ie:

$ CC -c foo.cc

will create the directory ./ii_files and the file ./ii_files/foo.ii, and
everything works fine, and everyone is happy.

But when things are run through libtool (at least with my current
configuration) this is what I get:

$ /bin/sh ../../../libtool --mode=compile CC <snip> -c foo.cc

mkdir .libs
CC <snip> -c foo.cc -DPIC -o .libs/foo.lo
mv -f .libs/foo.lo foo.o
(cd . && ln -s foo.o foo.lo)

so instead of getting ./ii_files/foo.ii, I end up with
./.libs/ii_files/foo.lo.ii, which is, I think confusing the compiler.

So my question is this: is there anyway to alter the behavior of either
libtool or CC (preferlably libtool) to output the file as a .o in the
same directory?? I mean it just ends up moving the result there anyway..
Is there a graceful way to handle this??

Here is some relevant information:

$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.3.5 (1.385.2.206 2000/05/27 11:12:27)

$ uname -sR
IRIX64 6.5 6.5.11m

$ CC -version
MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.3.1.2m