Re: AC_TRY_LINK with libtool libraries

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: AC_TRY_LINK with libtool libraries
Date: 03 Apr 2001 05:28:21 -0300

On Apr  3, 2001, "s_a_white" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary second suggestion worked after removing the back slashes:

Really?  Wow!  This is very good news, indeed.  I'm quite surprised!
I suppose we could arrange for AC_PROG_LIBTOOL to pre-pend
'${CONFIG_SHELL-/bin/sh} `pwd`/libtool ' to ac_link, then?

Modifying CC or CXX doesn't look like a good idea to me, if they're
going to be AC_SUBSTed.

> Btw, what would be your solution?

Modifying ac_link such that it would compile without libtool, then
link with it.  I'm very surprised doing it in a single pass worked.
Maybe by accident, just because it happened to pass the source
filename through to the link command, which wouldn't have worked in
case the linker were called directly, instead of using the compiler
driver?

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}