libreplanet-us-wa

Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Proposed local action from tonight's meetup

From: Andrew Kane
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Proposed local action from tonight's meetup
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 16:05:36 -0800

On 11/23/2016 02:32 AM, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Alex Jordan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> here's something resembling meeting minutes to get an idea of what we
>> discussed
>
> Thank you for the notes!
>
>> Seattle local government is interested in bringing municipal network
>> access to low-income residents
>>
>> Currently they're looking at negotiating with large ISPs
>>
>> It would be awesome if they went with Seattle Meshnet instead
>
> I think mesh networks are exciting, but I also think the plan being
> proposed here is unclear.

> [1] https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Seattle_Neighborhood_Networks_Project

I've changed it a bit to clarify what I'm proposing, but I've also
changed what I'm proposing. I don't think we need to deal with the City
nor organize anything ourselves. All we need to is reach out to local
communities, let them know what we can do for them, and offer our help.
I'm already doing that, and if anyone else wants to help with it, then
that's great!

> In addition, although some of the issues
> mentioned in the meeting notes and on the LibrePlanet wiki [1] may be
> important, they don't seem closely related to software freedom.

I've added some things to clarify the connection between these programs
and Free Software. It can't work without Freedom, it would be a
pointless effort.

> Therefore, I'm afraid I wouldn't feel comfortable helping to advocate
> for this plan at this time.
>
>> Person #1: suggests weekly CryptoParties and going beyond the usual
>> Signal + Tor + PGP to stuff like Seattle Meshnet
>
> I'd love to help organize and run a "crypto party".  However, I've never
> participated in one before (not even a key signing party), so I'd feel
> more comfortable helping someone who has done it before.

100% agreed. Afaik there are two of us who have done it before, (strugee
and me) and only one of us who has done it successfully (strugee). I
will help as I can. Luckily he has made a bunch of materials we can use
to smooth the process.

>> Person #1: for CryptoParties, should we tack on to another
>> organization like TA3M? Or do it ourselves
>
> I think we should organize our own event(s) while we simultaneously
> looking into existing organizations/meetings where we might be able to
> help.  I'll check to see what sort of events are happening in the area
> and send an email later with what I find.  Has anyone else already
> searched for these, or reached out to TA3M?

I have not done so, but I intend to contact the ta3m-seattle list anyway
to introduce them to the proposal I'm making, so I can include something
about libreplanet's willingness to help do cryptoparties & surveillance
self-defense things.