libreplanet-us-wa

Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Document Freedom Day

From: Jon Erlichman
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Document Freedom Day
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 19:15:14 -0700

I want to be involved in some capacity. My head keeps circling around ideas of analogy to physical objects that would be ridiculous, because those always shock my mind the most into understanding and believing in the necessity of software liberty.

What is a good analogy for document freedom? Imagine if your book went blank as soon as you donated it to the library because the publisher used ink that knows your fingerprints and only those prints reveal the book's contents?

Honestly, I've never been the best activist and therefore have been supporting movements monetarily. But I would like to get people to reconsider free formats and free software. It's pretty mature. We use quite a bit of free software at work now.

I'd love feedback for analogies to real world problems for these problems. Books that don't open unless you bought it at Barnes and Noble? Languages that can only be learned if you pay someone a million dollars? Cars that can only be fixed at the dealer's repair shop and whose hood won't open for you?

Meeting on the weekend if fine. I thought we were going to brainstorm tomorrow night since it is actually DFD? Or it was Thursday? I like cake but I prefer cream cheese frosting if available. And my wife would probably love to come. Cheers.