libreplanet-us-wa

Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] 3rd Saturday is coming up

From: Benj. Mako Hill
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] 3rd Saturday is coming up
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:22:11 -0700

<quote who="Jon Erlichman" date="Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 07:50:15PM -0700">
> Instead, if I am understanding correctly, this is just an arbitrary
> location for some people to meet up and hang out while having a
> couple of beers maybe. So is this an activist meetup? Like minded
> people just shooting the shit?

The monthly have, as long as I've been around, been social meetups to
eat, drink, and talk about free software with other free software
hackers and activists. Conversations have focused on both technology
and activism.

Sometimes, this group also organizes other kinds of events like
protests or activism events where we pass out information about free
software or DRM, for example.

I don't think people would be opposed to other kinds of events like
screenings or such but it would require someone organizing them and
then arranging an appropriate space.

> I guess I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in here. After
> just being an FSF supporter for 6 years, I was hoping to a)start
> doing some activism myself and b) learn from some senior developers
> so I can transition into a full time software development career.

It sounds to me like you would fit in very well. Why don't you come to
a few meetups and find out if you want to get more involved and
perhaps organize other kinds of events that might be more like what
you were hoping for.

Later,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto