libreplanet-us-wa

Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Ideas For The Next Meeting

From: Blibbet
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-us-wa] Ideas For The Next Meeting
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:19:27 -0700

> I like this, but I'm not comfortable recommending Ubuntu, [...]

If Software Freedom Day people are are comfortable recommending Spybuntu, I guess I'm happy to not argue with them.

I agree that current Spybuntu desktop is absolutely miserable, and not good for novice users. I'd recommend XUbuntu or KUbuntu instead of Ubuntu, these days.

But remember, it's only their first distro, and they're coming from a 100% closed platform, so the small amounts of damage that default Spybuntu inflicts on users is far less than they've been used to.

These days, I tell Linux newbies to try KUbuntu or (if they have a Mac) PearOS, and tell them to switch to Debian in 6 months.

Ok, how about this: burn 3 discs for install fest, Spybuntu, Debian, and Trisquel.

Given the privacy-centric perspective of TA3M-Seattle, I guess I should recommend TAILS as an alt image. :-)